Breakfast for Jennifer D'Abo-CEO Rymans

Jennifer and I were bridge partners. I used to let her do what she liked and we still won. Perhaps we had telepathy. An exquisite person - some say “The Woman of Substance” was based on her. The first woman to launch a takeover bid for a company – and also voted Businesswoman of the year many times. She lived in the most amazing places – later in life she had a cottage in the grounds of Blenheim Palace and a weekender at the Anchorage in Palma De Mallorca.
She loved to entertain maybe 3 or 4 times a week. And many. She however never went to shows or theatre and generally spent NYE in bed with a book. Our ritual was to get together on Boxing Day at her cottage.

On finding out that she had a terminal illness she bought a hotel in France but sadly departed aged 57. I was in Australia at the time and had no way of knowing except the telepathy came into play again. Something pushed me to check the obituaries in the English papers.

I miss her and as it is Christmas, I think of her.

For breakfast I would give her
Indian Tea with spices
Parathas like the punjabis make them
Hot mango pickle
Fresh mangoes
And a kiss

I know this would compare with the best of breakfasts she would have had at A list Homes and Hotels.

She was a true Yorkshire girl at heart- simple and harworking. Her three husbands may have been  bad picks but she left a legacy of colour for me at least

Her book “Jennifer D’Abo at home” – fast food for stylish people in a hurry still available and my recipe there with many others

As we would eat our breakfast slowly, I know that she would appreciate that we can go to each other’s homes even in pyjamas.

Her children Joel Cadbury and Mrs Charles Farr( Sophy) carry the D'Abo sparkle...




  

Comments

Popular Posts